Warm up this winter with some STEAMy programs!
All winter long, Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles will be hosting programs throughout L.A. that focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics. Whether you prefer to learn indoors or outdoors, with an industry expert or just with your troop, or in the morning or afternoon, there’s a STEAM program for you! Keep reading to learn about all the great programming that lies ahead.
Quick Look Ahead at Winter STEAM Events:
- STEAM Innovation Labs, 01/21/2023, Morning + Afternoon Sessions
- STEAM Takeover at El Ranchito, 2/4/2023
- STEAM Innovation Labs, 02/04/2023, Morning + Afternoon Sessions
- Wow! That’s Engineering, In-Person at UCLA, 2/18/2023
- Engineers Week: Girl Scout Day (Brownies, Daisies, Juniors), 2/25/2023
- STEAM Innovation Labs, 03/04/2023, Morning + Afternoon Sessions
- STEAM Takeover at the Inglewood Innovation Center, 03/11/2023
For a list of all programs coming this Winter, visit our Event Calendar.
STEAM Innovation Labs
When: Various morning and afternoon sessions on Saturdays during January-March 2023
Who: All grade levels
Where: Inglewood Innovation Center
Details: Welcome Troops! Use our resources and technology to explore your favorite STEAM –Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math – activities at the Inglewood Innovation Center!
Take tinkering to another level with tools and materials that inspire creativity and craftiness. Conquer Computer Science by writing code for a new game or learning how to keep yourself and others safe online. Ramp up Robotics skills and go from novice to competitor. You decide! Plan and book a self-guided session for your troop in one of three innovation labs to explore a variety of topics and complete hands-on projects. Based on your troop level and availability, our staff will then reach out to confirm your activity and provide you with lesson plans prior to your visit.
This is an in-person event, and we will follow GSGLA’s Volunteer Activity Guidelines regarding Covid-19. Masks are highly encouraged, but not required and not provided. All girls should bring a reusable water bottle to fill up at our water refill station.
Questions? Please contact us at: email@example.com
When & Where:
- February 4, 2023 @ El Ranchito
- March 11, 2023, @ Inglewood Innovation Center
- @ El Ranchito — Daisy, Brownie, Junior
- @ Inglewood Innovation Center – Cadette, Senior, Ambassador
Focus: Engineering / Space Science / Robotics / Cybersecurity
- Robotics: Girl Scouts will build a prototype of a new kind of robot that could help someone overcome a daily obstacle. Decide on a challenge, brainstorm solutions, plan, build a prototype, and test it to see how well it meets the challenge.
- Cybersecurity & Computer Science: Girl Scouts will learn ways to protect your data and how cybercrime is investigated and prevented.
Wow! That’s Engineering
When: February 18, 2023
Who: Cadettes, Seniors, Ambassadors
Details: Wow! That’s Engineering is back with an awe-inspiring, engineering-packed day brought to you by the Society of Women Engineers at UCLA (SWE UCLA)!
Challenge your creativity and discover the latest in engineering with activities led by UCLA engineering students. Explore higher education extracurriculars during the College Club Fair. Get inspired by a special speaker and panel of women in STEM.
Adults, learn college tips and tricks for your future engineer in an adult-exclusive session!
Engineers Week: Girl Scout Day – February 25, 2023
When: February 25, 2023
Who: Brownies, Daisies, Juniors
Details: Girl Scout Day is back and features activities that count towards earning one of three Mechanical Engineering badges available per level! Volunteers from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) invite Girl Scouts to a STEAM design challenge based on our Mechanical Engineering badge which girls receive at the end of the program. Meet a distinguished panel of professional and student engineers during an informative Q&A session. Lunch is also included. If solving problems excites you, a future in engineering awaits! Who knows what creative designs you’ll be inspired to make?